Friday, December 10, 2010

BOOST your Immune System!

Ok.... so this past 2 weeks, we have been FIGHTING the nasty cold virus that has been going around... and it made me think, "Gosh, I should really add some things to my blog about amping up your immune system to help you fight off these nasty bugs because chances are, you have them in your households too or you are being exposed to them as we speak!" So, here are some of the natural remedies I do (and that I do to my children!) during the winter season... take it or leave it, you choose- but I just know that I will try just about anything to fore go getting sick--- or worse, having sick (and miserable!) kids!!!! DO you have any favorite home remedies??? Share them with us!!!!

Garlic:
Garlic is the BOMB. Lots of uses for it. For starters, if I am not breastfeeding or going on a hot date- I will chop up a clove of garlic as finely as I can, put it on a spoon and swallow it all at the first sign of a cold. I usually have to have a big glass of water to swallow it down with, then I chase it with some juice.... I am not going to lie- it's gross, but the garlic kills just about anything that's starting to wreak havoc on you... try it. I usually do it before bed and make sure you have food in your tummy.

Garlic Drops:
I just tried these for the first time, but my sister uses them all the time on her son who gets ear infections frequently. I got my first ear infection this past week and wanted to fore go the antibiotic, so I tried this remedy, and low and behold- it worked! Does it work every time with every infection?? No. But, if the infection isn't horrible (with puss and ooz) and hasn't been around too long, I think it's worth a shot. You just drop a few drops of warm garlic oil (you can make your own or purchase it at a health food store) in your ear, lay down for 15 minutes so it has time to settle in your ear and repeat that 3 times a day. Mine cleared up in a day... glad I tried it.

Unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar:
We used this growing up, I have been a fan of it for a long time. There are different theories to it- some people just gargle it, other gargle and swallow, others just swallow. Look it up, read about it, choose what you prefer, but USE IT! I do this at the first tingle of a sore throat and it works like a charm. Add sleep to the concoction and you just might have a fighting chance to rid yourself of the sickies!

Sleep:
Honestly people, don't underestimate this "home remedy", it's the most important for a tired immune system!

Supplements to Take, especially during the winter months:

Vitamin D for adults and Children


Carlson Vitamin D Drops

VITAMIN D!!!
Did you know most of the population is deficient in Vitamin D, the vitamin from the sun?? Did you know that it is a key component in your immune system and the strength it has to fight off illness?? Did you know you can have your Vitamin D level tested (via blood work the next time you have lab work done) and then you can begin deciding how much you should supplement with. I personally use Carlson's Vitamin D drops and I give my daughter the Kids Version. We take them everyday, they have no flavor and no odor and you only need a drop or two per day. Read more about Vitamin D here- it is SO important to your long term HEALTH!

Echinacea:
We have been a big fan of this for a long time, I really believe in it, I think it's a great immune booster perfect for the winter months. Look into adding it to your supplement list if it's not already there. Also, you can purchase Echinacea and Elderberry together- that's a winning combination for fighting viruses!

Elderberry:
See my previous post, this stuff rocks.

Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, a herbalist, a pharmacist, a doctor, or an authorized person at all.... I am just a mom who tries a bunch of things, some work all the time, some don't- it just depends on what you've got... I am just passing on what I've tried and learned in hopes that it spurs you on to at least look into some different options. If we beef up our immune systems, it just might help us fight off the next gross thing that comes our way, or maybe it will just shorten the duration that it stays. Take it or leave it, just don't blame it on me :)

***Stay tuned for some homemade, hardy, healthy soups, great for a sick day or a repairing immune system!

No comments:

Post a Comment