Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Caprese Salad with Heirloom Tomatoes...

My mom loves to make Caprese Salad during the summer months when tomatoes are growing profusely and basil is sweet & fragrant. It's such a perfect, seasonal dish to be enjoyed when the ingredients are at their finest. Now, my mom and my sister in law Lisa could sit side by side and pass the plate back and forth until it the entire dish was gone, commenting the whole time how DELICIOUS it is, they would go on and on and ON. They love it. LOVE IT.

Here's my confession. I on the other hand would not devour the whole dish, I would politely take a small serving... because.... tomatoes aren't really my favorite things..... that is until now. I discovered the Heirloom tomatoes, and boy oh boy, did they make me change my tune! My sweet farming neighbors brought me a bag of them a few days ago, along with a DIVINE plate of Caprese Salad and I almost had to excuse myself so I could lick the plate- it was that GOOD!

So... get on out there, find yourself some Heirloom Tomatoes, pick up the few essential ingredients and make a platter for you and... well, just YOU!

Ingredients:
Heirloom Tomatoes, sliced
Mozzarella cheese, sliced
basil leaves, chopped
s & p
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
Directions:
Wash and slice your tomatoes, I would count about 1 tomato per person. As you slice your tomatoes, lay then on a platter alternating a slice of mozzarella cheese in between each tomato until your platter is full. Then drizzle a bit of olive oil & balsamic on top, sprinkle a little s & p then top with a generous amount of chopped basil before serving. This is a quick and easy dish to prep and should be made right before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment