Thursday, July 2, 2009

Trail Mix for Munchikins....


So, when I am on the go with Emery, I make sure to take a snack trap (love those little cups) full of something that will keep her busy when we are out. I decided to throw it all in a jar instead of making a small bowl of it everyday and I leave it on the counter for a quick go-to on my way out the door. There really are endless possibilities, so feel free to change it up- I try to keep it as nutritious as I can... Here we go:

Ingredient Options:
Raisins (Brown and Yellow ones)
Dried Cranberries
Dried Apricots (cut up into bit size pieces)
Dehydrated Bananas, Raspberries, Blueberries, and Mangos (see Trader Joe's/Lassen's/Whole Foods)
1 type of dried cereal (Cheerios, Puffins, or Shredded Wheat)

As your kids are older, you can add all sorts of raw nuts like:
Pepitas
Sunflower Seeds
Pumpkin Seeds
Cashews
Almonds (slivered or whole)
Pistachios

The list could go on and on! One bit of info that I want to pass on to you that my dentist told me, was to be careful when eating dried fruits. Because they are so sticky, they have a tendency to hang around and cause cavities because of the amount of sugar they have in them. For me, not a reason to avoid them, just something to take into consideration. Try to swish with water to get any remnants off and brush when you have the chance!


No comments:

Post a Comment